We are on Facebook and Twitter!

Like us on facebook - www.fb.com/thelearningcraft
Follow us on Twitter - @learningcraftNG

20/10/2012

27 minutes of sleep and the trouble maker


Twenty-seven minutes of sleep could be the difference between a quick tempered or cranky, distracted trouble-maker and a well-behaved student. According to an experimental study published in the November 2012 issue of Pediatrics, slightly increasing the amount of time children sleep results in improved alertness, impulse control, and emotional stability throughout the school day.

"Even small changes in daily life that can allow children to add about a half hour of sleep could have a significant impact," said study author Reut Gruber, director of the attention behavior and sleep lab at the Douglas Institute in USA. "Extending sleep opens the door to an effective, feasible way to improve children's health and education.

The study looked at 34 healthy students ages 7 to 11. For one week, half the students went to sleep earlier than usual, gaining, on average, 27 minutes of sleep. The other half of study participants pushed bedtime back, resulting in 54 minutes of sleep lost.

Teachers then monitored the two groups of students noted “significant differences” in the behavior of the two sets of students. Well-rested children were found to be more attentive and in control of their emotions. Students who were sleep-deprived not only appeared tired, but they were also more likely to become frustrated, cry, or lose their tempers.

A foundation in the United States of America called the National Sleep Foundation recommends children ages 5-12 sleep 10-11 hours each night.

Are your kids getting enough sleep every night? I just recently began to crack down on bedtime routine. Are you dealing with bedtime routines properly? I suggest you do, now you know its effect on your child's education.

If he is losing his temper, fighting incessantly, losing focusing and making a lot of mistakes; be sure that no 'spirit' has taken over him (lol). He may just need more sleep.

6 comments:

  1. I agree! Anyone who has children would have experienced how cranky they can be when they haven't slept enough. As opposed to when they get enough sleep. They are more vibrant and in a better mood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally concur. I find that the more relaxed my child is, the better I get out from her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this blog. Very insightful, please keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 27 minutes??? I guess that's good enough cos sleeping time or bedtime is such a struggle in my house. I'll do my best to see through it. The gain is higher because I noticed my kids are too cranky many times. Good blog here. Fresh and new.

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful insight LC. thank God my kids aint in d world yet... i'd probably give them even 127 minutes extra sleep... ding!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very insightful u can't overestimate the power of sleep. I love this blog keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your thoughts. I'd like to hear from you. :)